
This past week I had some interesting spiritual conversations. One of which consisted of a guy announcing he was for sure going to hell and is fine with it (which completely breaks my heart because I believe in the magnitude and epic torture of hell). The other conversation was with a different person that said he wasn't necessarily 'religious' but that he was maybe interested in spirituality again. He mentioned however that he didn't want to be a "Chreaster", christmas-easter church attender. I can definitely respect that and I shared with him that I agree being lukewarm is definitely not the answer.
What was interesting though is that these conversations were both held in a church. An old church converted into a modern-day brewery, that is.
I started thinking: why is it so easy to brush off the magnitude of God? Yes, He gives us our will to act in accordance with our desires and plan. But, when did there become this shift in our culture that having a choice between living for something higher versus living for ourselves became such an easy choice?
Maybe when isn't the important question. Maybe how, is. How can we bring back the sweetness and goodness of God's plan to people's lives? To the lives that are broken, and hurting, and looking for and trying all the ways to fill that void? I see the hurt everyday. I feel it. I hear it. My heart breaks. And yet it is so easy to go on with my day to myself 'getting my job done'. So here's to being determined to give a few people spiritual high fives in the coming weeks. I'll be praying for boldness, courage and the words to spill out of me as I try to encourage, and share with people something bigger, higher, and better than anything they've ever encountered before.
amen, and amen. thanks for sharing your heart, it's so cool to see what you are learning. wow, encouraging / kick in the butt for myself, too. thanks, sam.
ReplyDeletethank YOU for your encouragement, and glad to be a kick in the butt for others too :-)
ReplyDeleteThis is all something I need to be consistently reminded of.